Lizzie van Zyl
27 MAY START EMPIRE PROJECT
28 MAY 8-30 AM - 12-30 PM / 4-30PM- 7-00PM MARK OUT NUMBERS/ MARK OUT FLAG/STICK DOTS
29 MAY Stick dots 9-45 AM / 12-30 PM print picture of Lizzie Van Zyl PUNCHED MORE DOTS STICKED DOTS 6-00 / 8-00 PM
30MAY NO WORK
31 MAY NO WORK
01 JUNE 4 Hours sticking dots/ cutting/ punching out dots /Putting pictures on internet.
02 JUNE 4 Hours " "
03 JUNE 6 Hours sticking/cutting/painting/loading photos/update blogspot
06 JUNE STICK DOTS
07 JUNE STICK DOTS
08 JUNE LOADED PICTURES/ DO STENCILS/ PAINT STENCILED PICTURES/STENCIL WRITING
09 JUNE STICK DOTS
10 JUNE SPEND TIME WORKING ON NEW BLOGSITE "GAUTENG BLUES"
11 JUNE SPEND TIME ON NEW BLOGSITE. DID A LITTLE WORK STICKING DOTS ALSO.
12 JUNE TOOK SOME PICTURES FOR GAUTENG BLUES" PROJECT. WORKED ON NEW BLOG.
- 13 JUNE WORKED ON BLOG "GAUBLUES"
- 14 JUNE STILL WORKING ON BLOG TODAY
- 15 JUNE WORKED ON NEW BLOG AND STUCK SOME DOTS
- 16 JUNE WORKED ON BLOG AND ON "EMPIRE"
- 17 JUNE WORKING ON GATHERING PICTURES FOR "GAUTENG BLUES" PROJECT.
- 18 JUNE GATHERING PHOTOS FOR "GAUTENG BLUES"
- 19 JUNE SAME STORY GETTING PHOTOS FOR PROJECT.
- 20-21 June Took a break from the project
- 22 June Worked on project
- 23 June Took photo's for "Gauteng blues" and worked on art projet.
- 24 June Worked on project see picture.
- 25 June Worked some more on project
- 26 June
- 27-30 June worked on project plus photo project"Gauteng blues".
- 01 July Worked on project updated photo added.
- 02 July Worked most of the day on "EMPIRE".
- 03 July Still working on Project
- 04 July Took day off from project
- 05 July Worked on project06 July Worked on project07 July Worked on project08 July Worked on project09 July worked on project10 July worked on project11 July Taking break12 July Taking break13 July worked on project14 July worked on project15 July worked on project16-17 July - August still working on this project. Final phase.19 August Project completed. 120 days to complete project.
Progress today 02/06/09
Progress today 03/06/09
Progress today 05/06/09
Progress today 06/06/09
Progress today 07/06/09
Progress today 08/06/09
Progress today 09/06/09
Progress today 24/06/0
Project completed 19/08/09
I HAVE RECENTLY STARTED WORKING ON THIS PIECE CONNECTED WITH THE CONCENTRATION CAMPS DURING THE BOER WAR. AFTER MUCH PLANNING AND THINKING. I CAME UP WITH THE IDEA OF REPRESENTING THE DEATHS OF PEOPLE IN THE CAMPS WITH 26730 DOTS. YES, THIS IS THE APPROXIMATE NUMBER OF PEOPLE THAT DIED IN THESE CAMPS MORE THAN 22000 WERE CHILDREN.
THESE DOTS ARE PRESSED OUT OF A SHEET OF VYNIL WITH A PUNCH. THE SHEETS ARE PAINTED WITH ACRYLICS BEFOREHAND IN THE COLOURS OF THE BRITISH FLAG.
THE DOTS ARE THEN INDIVIDUALLY APPLIED ON THE BOARD. THE FIRST BOARD WILL CONTAIN APPROXIMATELY 22000 DOTS. MY AIM IS TO GRAPHICALLY REPRESENT THE DEATS ON THE BOARD.
THE DEATHS BECOME MORE "REAL" WHEN YOU SEE IT IN THIS STAGGERING NUMBER OF DOTS ON THE BOARD. IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FLAG THE NUMBER 26730 WILL APPEAR CONNECTING THE NUMBER FOREVER WITH THE BRITISH FLAG. I HOPE TO CREATE AN AWARENESS OF THIS GROSS VIOLATION OF HUMAN RIGHTS IN OUR HISTORY. IT IS ESTIMATED THAT 25% OF THE AFRIKANER NATION WAS KILLED THROUGH THIS ACTION BY LORD KITCHENER.
I AM STILL THINKING OF PUTTING A PICTURE OF THE LITTLE GIRL, LIZZIE VAN ZYL ON THE BOARD. THIS PICTURE IS WHAT SPARKED THE WHOLE WORK. DEATHS BECOME MORE "REAL" WHEN THE PEOPLE ACTUALLY HAVE NAMES. THIS SHOCKING PICTURE SET ME GOING. I HOPE TO CREATE MORE AWARENESS OF THE PLIGHT OF ALL CHILDREN EVERYWHERE, CHILDREN THAT MIGHT BE SUFFERING AT THIS VERY MOMENT.
IF YOU ARE INVOLVED WITH HELPING CHILDREN IN ANY MANNER OR FORM, ESPECIALLY HURTING AND SUFFERING CHILDREN, PLEASE GET IN CONTACT WITH ME AND SHARE YOUR VIEWS ON THIS WORK IN PROGRESS.
I WILL POST REGULAR PICTURES AS THE WORK PROGRESS . IF YOU HAVE ANY IDEAS WHAT SHOULD BE INCLUDED IN THIS WORK YOU CAN ALSO CONTACT ME ON MY E-MAIL ADDRESS firstname.lastname@example.org WITH YOUR SUGGESTIONS THANK YOU. I SALUTE ALL CHILDREN.